There are many different types of detoxification programs which cleanse the body of toxins, and each type has its own specific purpose and benefits. For instance, Heavy metal cleanses focus on removing accumulations of heavy metals from the body, such as mercury and aluminum. Organism cleanses work to eliminate specific organisms, such as parasites or candida yeast. Organ cleanses detoxify the liver and gall bladder, lungs, kidneys, and colon.
One of the main organs involved in cleansing is the liver, which filters all impurities and toxins from the blood. The liver filters these substances and reduces them into compounds that the body can then eliminate through the kidneys (as urine), the skin (as sweat), the lungs (as expelled air), and the bowels (as feces). It is important for overall health to make sure that each organ system is functioning optimally.
By improving the efficiency of these systems you will notice that you have more energy, sleep better, are more mentally alert, and have enhanced well-being that is especially visible in better skin and shiny hair. You may even notice that you suffer less from colds and flus because of an improvement in your immune system.
Health concerns that can benefit from a personalized cleansing program include:
• Constipation and digestion problems such as bloating— poor bowel movements encourage harmful bacteria and toxins to accumulate over time.
• High cholesterol and high blood pressure— detoxification diets help to establish lifestyle changes that are important in both treatment and prevention of strokes and heart disease.
• Colds and flus – This is a clear reflection of a much weaker immune function and the body’s inability to fight bacteria and viruses well.
• Also— headaches and migraines, allergies and sensitivities, joint pain, smokers, those with high alcohol consumption, and those who generally feel fatigue and tired.
A Naturopathic doctor can find the best cleanse program for you personally. Under guided supervision, a total health plan can be created for you that rejuvenates your energy and restores your health to an optimal level.
Dr Bartolini is at Rebound Health + Wellness on Wednesdays. Interested in jump starting your health naturally? Book an Initial Assessment with Dr Bartolini >>> Book Online
By Dr Suzanne Bartolini, Naturopathic Doctor
As the warmer weather falls upon us, many people begin to experience the discomforts of allergies. Symptoms can range from runny nose and sneezing, itchy, watery eyes, recurring ear and sinus congestion or infections, headaches, skin rashes, hives, general fatigue, and the list goes on… Allergies are brought on by a hyper-sensitive immune response to several substances, whether they are inside our homes or in the environment. This includes pollens, mold spores, dust, dander from household pets, dust mites, certain foods in our diets, etc. So what can we do?
Here are a few tips to stop allergies from taking over this summer:
• Rinse your nasal passageways daily – Studies have shown that nasal irrigation is effective for adults as well as children. Allergen irritants can be rinsed out of your nasal passages using a simple warm saline solution with a netti pot or squeeze bottle.
• Try self-acupressure – There is an acupressure point on either side of your nostrils where your cheeks and nose meet. Apply moderate pressure and massage this area with your fingers for 2-3 minutes.
• Eat foods that strengthen your immune system – Foods rich in antioxidants such as leafy green vegetables improve immunity, which in turn improves allergies. A large part of our immune system lies in our gastrointestinal tract so good probiotics are also beneficial.
• Incorporate anti-inflammatory fruits into your diet – Fruits such as papaya, kiwi, and pineapple contain bromelain, which is an anti-inflammatory enzyme.
• Avoid foods that irritate the immune system and produce excessive mucous - This includes refined and packaged foods, sugars, caffeine, dairy products, and certain grains to name a few.
• Drink green tea – Some teas contain natural antihistamines. Since histamines are released during an allergic reaction, incorporating natural antihistamines will help the immune system.
• Stay well-hydrated - Water is important to keep the sinuses hydrated and is essential for proper lymphatic drainage. Adequate water intake will flush excess mucous and clear toxins.
• Don’t forget simple things like washing hands after working or playing outside and bathing in the evening to keep pollens out of your bedding.
*Each person is unique. The above suggestions are simply the beginning steps for eliminating allergies. If you have been suffering from allergies, you may want to consider a Naturopathic approach, which strengthens the body and immune system through proper diet strategies, cleansing, acupuncture, and balanced supplementation. Book in with Dr Suzanne Bartolini to learn more about how a Naturopathic Doctor can help. Dr Bartolini is in clinic on Wednesdays
Written by the team at Rebound Health and Wellness